"If you can't feed 100 then feed just one."

Mother Teresa


My name is Mother Lena and I started Mother Lena's Cat Rescue because all animals deserve a better life.


I have always loved cats. I live in Sweden and in the winter many cats go hungry or they freeze to death due to the harsh weather. I wish to put an end to this misery by providing loving homes for the many homeless cats in my area and provide them with food medical needs.

We try to catch as many cats as we can with insulated cat cages laid on the snow. When we catch a cat we bring them in nurse them back to good health get their medical needs taken care of then all the time we love them turning them into good loving grateful cats others can now adopt.

If you love cats like we do then please help support our efforts by donating what you can or by buying an item on our shopping page. All monies go to rescue,food and medical needs of the cats.

Thank you and may God Bless you for your help

Mother Lena


Photobucket

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

How we got started rescuing cats


I have always loved animals, since I was a small child.
People think I am a "cat person", but I am actually not.
I am more of an animal person.
I love dogs as much as I love cats and I grew up with a dog, which I loved very much.
It is hard to really tell, when it all started.

My boyfriend Mats, read an ad some years ago, about a Cat Shelter needing volunteers, and he cut it out and saved it.
One day he showed it to me and we decided to help out at the Cat Shelter. It was the right time for both of us.
We did all sorts of things at the Shelter, from cleaning, feed, medicate and bathe the cats, taking cats to the vet, working with information leaflets, taking photos of the cats, answering the phone, doing the account (the economy) as a cashier.....and more. At that time, I was the contact for the Cat Shelter. A woman called me one day, about some stray kittens, living outdoors together with their mum. It was October and freezing cold outside.

This is how I started to help stray, shy cats that are not used to people at all.
These cats can not be taken to the Cat Shelter for help, because they need a lot of time together with one or a few people, to get socialized.

In a Shelter, there are too many cats and too few people working, to be able to give this special attention to just these kinds of cats. It could actually take hours to get a scared cat into a transportation cage and sometimes you even have to wait until the next day, to try again.

Time and patience is the most important thing, when you help these cats.
Come to think of it, there was one cat that we helped to his home, before all this happened.
It was a black cat, staying outside our door, not wanting to leave, it was summer and the weather was quite warm, we gave him food and water outside.

The cat was in a good shape, so there was no reason to believe, he did not have an owner somewhere.
The next day something came to my mind, “Have I seen this cat somewhere before?” After doing some thinking I remembered a black cat, called Pelle, living on the other side of a big road, together with an old man and his wife.

Was this Pelle, who had crossed the road and did not dare to cross the heavy trafficked road again, to go home? I called his name and it was Pelle. I remembered he had some white hair on his chest.
Pelle must have remembered my voice, since I had talked to him many times, walking buy the house where he lived.

We brought Pelle home and he has actually been away from home for a week. The old man was so happy he cried and me to. The cat ran to the wife and jumped up into her lap....
I like to think about this as a kind of "test" that was sent to me.
Would I be able to help Pelle get home again?
Was I the right person to do this kind of work?
Was I caring and loving enough, did I have patience enough; did I want to do anything I could to help save those animals in need? To me there is a very strong feeling, I was making a choice right here, by listening to my heart and not let anybody or anything distract me, from what I felt was so important: to help those animals, that really are in need and to never let anybody stop me, from doing what I can and what I believe in.
I think there is a reason for everything in life, and to me the cats have come into my life to teach me about what is important in life; about love, compassion, patience, trust and also about how to relax and enjoy life...

They are all my Teachers....
Mother Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment